University Of Cape Town Ranking
University Of Cape Town Ranking, The University of Cape Town (UCT) is a public research university located in the port city of Cape Town, South Africa. Its campus is situated at the foot of Table Mountain’s Devil’s Peak, offering stunning views of the city.
Founded in 1829 as the South African College, UCT is oldest higher education institution in the country. In 1918 it was awarded full university status, allowing it to award degrees and be renamed the University of Cape Town.
The university’s motto ‘Spes Bona’ translates as ‘Good Hope’, which reflects the university’s official creed of optimism, dating back to when UCT was a centre of opposition to government policy in the apartheid years.
The university admitted its first black students, in small numbers, during the 1920s, although it wasn’t until the apartheid era was at its close that the demographic of students significantly changed. Today almost half of the university’s 22,000 students are black and just over half are female.
Today, the university claims one of the most diverse campuses within South Africa. Its stated aim is ‘to promote equal opportunity for everyone.’
UCT is split into six different faculties: Commerce, Engineering and the Built Environment, Science, Health Sciences, Law and Humanities. All of these faculties are supported by the university’s Centre for Higher Education Development, which addresses students’ teaching and learning demands. There are also over 100 clubs and societies that students can join.
The university is home to many of South Africa’s leading researchers and over 60 specialist research units; it hopes to eventually become Africa’s leading research university.
Its alumni includes the heart surgeon Christiaan Barnard, who performed the first successful heart transplant, and three Nobel laureates: the novelist JM Coetzee, chemist Sir Aaron Klug and the physicist Alan MacLeod Cormack.
UCT’s mascot is the tiger and its language of instruction is English.
- 1st in Africa (Quacquarelli Symonds 2019)
- 200th in the world (Quacquarelli Symonds 2019)
- 1st in Africa (Times Higher Education 2017–18)
- 171st in the world (Times Higher Education 2017–18)
- 1st in Africa (Quacquarelli Symonds 2018)
- 191st in the world (Quacquarelli Symonds 2018)
- 2nd in Africa (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2017)
- 301–400 in the world (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2017)
- 1st in Africa (US News Best Global Universities 2017)
- 112th in the world (US News Best Global Universities 2017)
- 2nd in Africa (Center for World University Rankings 2016)
- 265th in the world (Center for World University Rankings 2016)
- 4th (Times Higher Education 2017 BRICS and Emerging Economies)
- 13th (Quacquarelli Symonds 2018 BRICS)
BRICS: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
Shanghai Ranking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (GRAS) 2018
- 16th in the world (mining and mineral engineering)
- 45th in the world (oceanography)
- 51st – 75th in the world (public health)
- 76th – 100th in the world (geography)
Quacquarelli Symonds 2018
- 11th in the world (development studies)
- 37th in the world (sports-related subjects)
- 49th in the world (geography)
- Anatomy and physiology
- English language and literature
- Law and legal studies
- Life sciences and medicine
Times Higher Education 2016–17
- 1st in Africa, 61st in the world (clinical, pre-clinical and health)
US News Best Global Universities 2017
- Social sciences and public health
Center for World University rankings 2017
- 3rd in the world (ornithology)
- 4th in the world (area studies)
ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (GRAS) 2017
- 8th in the world (mining and mineral engineering)
- 40th in the world (public health)
University of Cape Town Rankings
|World University Rankings 2018 –||
|World University Rankings 2019||43.9||=200|
|World University Rankings 2018||48.9||191|
|World University Rankings 2017||48||=191|
|World University Rankings 2016||57.8||171|
|World University Rankings 2015||62||=141|
|World University Rankings 2014||60.5||=145|
|World University Rankings 2012||55.7||154|